Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

week number two

Hello there!

So, I'm still reading Editors on Editing, and I just thought I'd share one more obvious tidbit that I learned while reading this week.

I want to be a copy editor.

It seems to me that, for lack of a better term, "regular" editors do a lot of creative work. Some would say that they are a mix between an author and a businessman. They are an author in that frequently, they come up with the ideas for a book; they are a businessman in that they arrange meetings between the author and their agents.

I am not a super creative person. I can hold my own when given time to think, but it is hard for me to think of new ideas. I would do better if someone gave me a topic, and I tell a fact about it. I'm good at that.

A copy editor deals more with the grammar and analytical side of the manuscript. If the author accidentally spells a character's name one way in one chapter and then a different way in another, it would be the copy editor's job to catch it and alert the author. I would be fantastic doing that, I can tell you that right now.

Well, that's enough for now. Byebye!

No comments:

Post a Comment